Beef Tenderloin with Great Northern Bean and Fennel Purée
Ingredients1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
Butter for cooking the steaks
2 Large shallots, peeled and diced
2 Fennel bulbs, trimmed and roughly chopped (1/2 inch pieces)
1 Bay Leaf
2/3 cup Milk
1 cup chicken stock
1 (15 ounce) can Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
2 1/2 ounces (about 1 cup) leaves
Olive oil, for drizzling
2 Beef Tenderloin Steaks
5 ounces oyster mushrooms, 1/2 inch strips
1 tablespoon roughly chopped parsley
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Directions1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. saucepan over medium high heat and add canola oil. When hot add shallots, fennel, and bay leaf. Lower the heat and sweat for 8 minutes
3. pour in milk and chicken stock and bring to boil, the reduce to simmer and cook for 10 minutes until fennel is softened
4. Add beans and continue to cook for 10 minutes
5. Meanwhile, toss the Kale leaves with a drizzle of Olive Oil and season with a pinch of salt. Lay the leaves in a single layer on a baking sheet, place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until crisp. Remove and leave to cool.
6. Remove the bay leaf from the fennel and beans and pour into blender. Season with salt and blitz until smooth. If the purée isn’t loose enough, add a little water and blend again.
7. Place large skillet over high heat with butter. When smoking, carefully add steaks to skillet, salt and pepper, and sear all over.
8. Transfer the Steaks to a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 8 minutes for medium rare. Remove steaks and cover with foil to rest in warm place for 10 minutes.
9. While steaks are resting, add a little more oil to the pan and place it over medium high heat. When hot add mushrooms and cook. Stir occasionally for 3 minutes until tender and lightly colored. Turn heat off, Season mushrooms with salt and pepper, toss chopped parsley and finish with a squeeze of lemon.
10. Serve the purée on two warm plates and place steaks in the side. Garnish with mushrooms and a handful of Kale Chips